Monday, October 20, 2008

The Drum Doctor

My poor sick drum went to the drum doctor today. She should be all patched up and ready to play tomorrow. Hopefully!!!

The split goat skin head is being replaced with a clear mylar head. That will have a red mylar frog inlaid into it. The inside of the drum has been painted purple and four little frogs representing Earth, Air, Fire and Water have been decoupaged inside. (How pagan of me! LOL) I am still debating on what I am going to do for Spirit. I am hoping that once I get it back it will all be clear. I am considering the Hopi spiral hand print on the outside but I am not sure.

I am really anxious to hear what it sounds like. The mylar will sound different than the goat skin. It should be a little deeper. The benefit of the mylar is that I can play outside in the middle of a hurricane and I don't have to worry about humidity or moisture. (FTR, I do not recommend playing drums outside in the middle of a hurricane!!)

Now I am off to find her a new resting spot so she doesn't get knocked over again!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is the drum detox going?

Vicki said...

Goat's head? Lol, reminds me of a few things....

AM said...

The detox is not going well. Especially since the drum doctor has reheaded my drum twice now and just as he gets almost done it splits again. He assured me that he knows what the problem is and will work on it tomorrow. Although he did offer to loan me a real drum in the mean time....