Monday, October 1, 2007

The World Social Studes Yellow Pages


This book is from my new favorite series. This is basically a checklist of things you need to cover for each topic or civilization. The first section is a small overview of history and geography skills. This strikes me as a list of things you can expect to know after finishing the book. Next comes the world history section. It is laid out chronologically, beginning with the rise of civilization all the way through to the year 2000. Each civilization has a list of people, events, lifestyle, places, achievements and terms that is relevant. You can study as much or as little as you want. The "Key Achievements" section has turned out to be a great place to pull project ideas from. After that, it has important lists such as a time line of explorers, historic places and a glossary. The last part is on World Geography with checklists for geographical terms, sections on population, major sights, world nations and a glossary.

I love this because I know HOW I want to teach history I just don't know WHAT I need to teach. This tells me the topics, people, places and things and lets me find the information in a format that I like.

I have been using books from the library, SOTW Activity Guide, Lapbooks from Hands of a Child, Peoples of the Ancient World Series (That is peoples with an "S", there is another series with no "S" that I didn't like.) and projects from the internet to fill in the information needed.

No comments: