Monday, September 1, 2008

ASL Co-op

We will be starting an ASL co-op twice a month. I'm capping it at 10 kids so if you haven't emailed me yet, do so!

I am going to follow the lessons laid out in the link I posted earlier this week. The plan is to cover 1 to 2 weeks worth of vocab. The explanations are available online but sometimes you just need to see the sign to get it.

After that we will do some of the drills that go along with the lessons and we will also practice fingerspelling and finger reading.

We will also do some simple spatial drills. I will have to simplify most of the drills I have since they are geared toward college students. Heck the student I taught in college had difficulty with these. Perhaps the young, un-entrained minds of the kids will grasp the spatial concepts faster. It will be an interesting observation to make.

ASL grammar is very simple but many people have a hard time grasping the visual concepts. Again, I wonder if the kids won't have this problem.

We will also talk about Deaf Culture. I doubt the kids will find it as fascinating as I do but it is important to understand how the Deaf view themselves.

No comments: